Sunday, June 10, 2007

A 1000 pax Banquet (千人宴)

My dad was in town this weekend. He came to attend a big banquet for the former political prisoners. Yeap, he was jailed for 6 years from 1962-1968 when he was at his 20s, due to his left winged political pursuit. At that time, there were a few thousand people in Sarawak being arrested due to joining communist activities. He was one of them (but now he is a 100% capitalist...haha).

I heard from my mum that he was quite looking forward to attend this dinner. He actually came alone without my mum's company.


Last night I drove him to the venue. It was amazing... it's a banquet of 1000 'ah pek' and 'ah mu'... serious no kidding! When I brought him to the hall, he was greeted by a lot of people. They called him 'School Principal'. Hmm... I was amazed that this 70 years old 'ah pek' seems to be quite popular among them. When they shook hands, I can see the joy and glow in their eyes... what can I said... I stood there beside my dad, I was kind of proud of him till for a moment I felt like crying as my heart was deeply deeply touched witnessing such an unbelievable moment.

Imagine 40-50 years ago, these people ever fought together for something they believed was great for the people in Sarawak. They were sent to the prison and were then separated. Finally after 40-50 years, they met each other again. Now all have aged and become grandpa and grandma.

By the way, one interesting part was that he met one of his ex-girl friends last night (He actually has quite a few girl friends before he met my mum). Before the function, I was on the line with my mum and she joked that my dad was here to meet his old time cantonese girl friend. So when I picked him up after the function, I asked if he did see her. I asked him who is prettier, my mum or his ex. He said of course it's my mum as his ex has got a big butt now... haha (as if my mum's is small). He told me the husband of his ex also attended the dinner. I asked who is more charming between he and the guy and he replied without hesitation that "Of course it's your dad". Hahaha... he is always a man with great sense of humour.

I must said I have never got so close to understand my dad's past until I met his old old pals last night. Well, he did tell me bit and pieces before. His past sounds very adventurous to me but I never took it seriously. I thought he must have spiced it up here and there. Well, now I start to believe that a big part of the stories is real.

So today on my blog, I would like to render a big salute to my beloved 70 years old dad!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's why, the movie "back to the future" or 2 tony leung's 難兄難弟 is good :-)