Tuesday, August 22, 2006

My Old Old Friends…

Before my trip to Melbourne, I had some worries in my mind…
- I worried that my visit will cause inconvenience to my friends, especially my married friends.
- I worried that I will be spending most of the time exploring the city by myself and will need to figure out the way to get around.
- I worried that after all these years, my friends have changed that we don’t have many common topics and I will be coming back with disappointment…
- I worried that…

However by the time I reached the Melbourne airport, by the time I saw my friends Betty, Rita and Ying in their big big smile, the way we had to fight to talk by shouting in the car, the way we teased each other and laughed so hard…I felt relieved. They were still the same, still the ji-ja kepo girls I knew in our old school days…

Then for the week there, everyday we talked and laughed and time just flew so fast. Even though it’s kind of exhausting, we really had lots of good time together. Well for those moments, I really forgot all about my job and worries…

Come to think about it, I am blessed with so many good friends. A lot of them, we have known each other since we were kids. Things about kids are quite cute, they are pretty straight forward and intuitive, they only decide to become each other’s friend if they really like each other.

About Rita – What I remember about her is that she was the only kid wearing glasses in our kindergarten (who a hell wear glasses at kindergarten time?!!). Moreover, she wore her pants over her belly, high up to her boops (haha… not that she has boops at that time). Well, she was quite chubby, cute but quite quiet. We decided to become friends during primary school time, I think it’s because we both like to play table tennis so we stayed back for table tennis practice after school. I remember we ever '勾手指' when we agreed to become good friends (haha… we actually have to do that to show confirmation…)

About Ying – During transition year, I faced with whole bunch of new classmates, for some unknown reason (which I still can’t quite figure out till today), I have no friends and was alone in the class for months… Ying told me that I became quite mean that I would use ‘liquid paper’ to attack the people that came near me. Then one day, when she sat next to me watching me drawing my favorite ‘beautiful boys & girls’ comics, surprisingly I didn’t attack her… there we started to make friends…hahaha…that’s funny.

About Betty – She made friends easily because she is always very nice and friendly. I saw her and her sister during my piano lessons where I used to sit there and wait for the whole afternoon for my turn (as I was the only one who the parents will not come to pick me up as I stayed nearby the music school so the teacher always put me to the last). Therefore I got plenty of time sitting there reading comics and watching people. I was quite timid so I didn’t talk to the kids there. Betty and her sister Joy were very friendly, they smiled at me so I remember them. Then she became my classmate in secondary school time and we became friends naturally after a while, mainly because we knew each other from the piano school and that we both like to compete doing maths home work in the class.

These friends and I grew up spending most of our school time together, learning the same things, sharing similar values, speaking similar language, having similar sense of humor, enjoy doing similar things. I am glad that after all these years, we still keep in touch and can still get along so well. These are the friends that I feel really comfortable to be with and who can bring out the most natural side of me, simply no disguise needed at all.

Even though we are far apart nowadays, I wish things go well with my old old friends and that one day when we become some old ladies, we can still hold each other’s hands going out for tea or hot chocolate together in cold cold winter (probably not advisable to have coffee anymore at that age)…

- Heart could only love for a while, feet could only walk for some miles, clothes won’t forever be in style, but having u girls as my friends are forever worthwhile… -

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting, nice and cosy writing about how your trip went in Melb.
Strange that with these friends, one doesn't need to 'make the effort' to keep in touch, just naturally exchanging emails. But when we all meet, it's declaration of WWIV. One would need to shout to get the attention of others.
Well, this Melb trip of yours will be another topic for discussion when the next reunion comes. The list just gets longer...imagine when we get to 80, there'll be too many topics for us to talk/argue about that the reunion will need to have a 3-month duration.

Anonymous said...

cyber way of speech, as long as you keep your email alive, and always check it, we'll always be brought together some time... :-)
I like your final 'caption' :-)

and haha... my memory very bad, one thing I know is, I was impressed and 'attracted' to this gal, cos, she can really draw very good manga... :-) so, i guess, Manga brought us together... :-) i've been reading it since primary school and i've always love manga... but, i forget the part where you 'attack' people with you tipex.. :-) sooo 叛逆 neh!!!!
yep, i remember you spent the whole hour, err.. i think, it's in the lab, where we can choose to sit together in 1 group, there, you SHOW OFF your drawing skill to me :-) cheh!!!

i know already, you use picassa izit??

Anonymous said...

Yes i remember your drawing skills too. When I left for melbourne back in form 4, you drew a Richard Clayderman in B/W (pencil) to me, very artistic.

Wondering if you still keep up with this side of yours.

Jo said...

No, in fact I have expanded many other sides of me though, especially my boops...hahaha just kidding. Drawing was my hobby but now I have too many hobbies, like blogging... so you know lah.

Anonymous said...

ok got your message. Jo is MULTI-TALENTED, this implies to all aspects, which include:
- her intelligence
- her appearance inc. boobs
- her bank accounts
he he

oh..just a side issue here, is there a way you can default the comments posting with both date and time details? ATM it's only time...

Anonymous said...

noticed that our comments are with both date and time, thanks!

Oh one more request, don't know whether this is possible with this blogger.com, is it possible to view just the heading page, with the notification of the (new) comments, or there's some way go about it that i don't know nia?