Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Addiction to Internet & Computer

I think I am addicted to computer and internet. They are my biggest fun toys (I think they are really the greatest invention in the last millennium). Basically, I face the computer whole day long, at least 8-10 hrs a day, and surf the net at least 2-3 hrs a day. I spent much less time talking to people as compared to sitting in front of a computer, 'cos most of the things can be communicated through emails and messenger.

Apparently I am not the only one. In fact majority of the people at my work place and other work place are doing the same thing too.

So is this normal for our generation?? Comparing people at my parents' age who didn't even know what computer is at their time, there are actually some differences in the living pattern. Those people talk more, for e.g. my mum, she is basically on the phone most of the time. My dad will either be reading newspaper, watching tv or chatting with his old pals at the kopitiam. For me, I meet people online, get things done online, chat online, read news online, even talk to my own housemate online at home.

However there are still some difference between my generation and the younger generation though. Those youngsters nowadays are even worst, they are stuck to the computer whole day long. Their common hobbies are playing online games, meeting strangers online, form groups, play games, even build and live a second life in the online games. Can you imagine that?? Their world is really quite virtual. At least I still hang out with friends in the weekend.

I often wonder what would be the illness associated with sitting in front of a computer for too long???....

6 comments:

Nomad said...

confession of an internet addict... that's me.... storyboard for a new novel... haaa

well i feel my whole body is out of sorts if i dont surf. Even if i have no emails to reply or blogs to write, no drama to watch, i just want to linger on to read all the scrapes on internet just to pass time before i feel satisfied to go do other stuff.... bo liao i know...cannot help it. It use to be much worse when i was working where i will check my email non stop, at least i stop that now...

The problem with sitting too long, my arms ache and my elbow hurts because its in the same position too long...my shoulder feels stiff man....

Anonymous said...

It's scary to think about this thing that we spend most of our time doing nowadays didn't even exist 20-30 years ago. Meaning human could actually live without it but now we are spending majority of our time on it like it's a necessity... Hmm... just what are we doing??

Nomad said...

i think in the past, they prob enjoy talking to neighbors more, and read more books... books are prob a big thing back then :P

Think about those years without TV before TV was invented.... EVEN more incredulous to think about it right! All they have is wayang show!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I remember when I was a kid, my mum and her sisters used to bring their kids and met up at my grandpa's place to watch HK TV series together every week. It's something that everyone is looking forward to, as we didn't really have big color tv at home that time, no video player as well, only grandpa has. It was fun having so many cousins together sitting on the floor watching tv, eating food that grandma offered (and I miss my grandma's local coffee so so much). That's why my cousins and I are close to each other till now 'cos we share similar childhood memory.

Now, I don't really spend time like this with my family or cousins anymore :(

Nomad said...

I know what u mean!!! I was just telling my brother how i missed those days when we all have to share TV, watch and "critic" the show together, go "Aiya stupid" together over some lousy scene, and fight over remote (i always lose of course being the youngest.... no voting rights). I agree it makes one closer and bond together more.

I rem watching all the cartoon with my msia cousins too since they are same age. Then after that, we will head to the room to act out the pirates or superman stunts. Those were good old fun days.

Now everyone has a tv in bedroom and living room, no fighting over remote, also mean lesser bonding time eh....

Anonymous said...

Yeap, we used to have a big table of kids and a big table of uncles and aunties at my grandpa's house every week, sitting there chit chat laugh laugh laugh, enjoying my grandma's nyonya style cooking and coffee.

After food, the kids will start playing. Later, everyone heading upstair to watch HK TVB series. That's where everyone started the critic...

Aiyo I miss those days lah... I miss my grandma who has passed away. She is such a 'giving' type of person.