Friday, August 08, 2008

Dumber or smarter?

I went to the saloon last weekend to get my hair colored (my monthly routine). There I picked up a ‘Cleo’ magazine and started reading. First, I read an article about “How to handle a guy who likes to show off his smartness?”.

From the description, it is the type of guys who like to flaunt their smartness, either by telling you that you are wrong or keep reminding people that he is smart in every occasion. It is interesting as I have met guys like that from time to time. Basically they make you feel like you are small, dumb or stupid, and they like people to praise and admire them for whatever they do.

Do I like this type of guys?? Well, not really but sometimes I do find them entertaining because after observing them for a while, their behavior usually becomes kind of predictable. Then it all depends from case to case to see if they are really smart people to win applause or they are just annoying people who try to win attention by undermining others’ self confidence. For the former, I do not mind to ‘continue observing’ as I like smart ideas. For the later, sorry I usually just ignore them as I find them annoying.

Back to the ‘Cleo’ magazine, then I flipped on and saw another article about “Can you stand a boy friend/partner who is not as smart as you?”. The examples given were that the guy is obviously a bit dumb… Hmm… well, tough question… so far I have not dealt with very dumb guys before. I suppose if the guy is too dumb to continuously create troubles and screw things up, then it will be quite frustrating. However if the guy is not dumb but just not very smart, I will see if he is generous, kind and easy going. After all, smartness is not everything, there are many other qualities in a person that make the person likeable.

Moreover, there are many types of smartness: some people are book-smart, some are street-smart, some are sport-smart etc. Each can be adorable at certain time and place but not the other… see??

In fact, I am a bit scared of people that are too smart, especially if they are also calculative, self centered, selfish or kiasu, then they may be very difficult to get along. For me, the perfect choice would be a smart guy who is low profile and humble but with a big heart and easy going character.

So a survey here for you guys to do:

1. Do you prefer a dumber or smarter partner (if you can only choose one)?
2. Do you prefer someone who is book-smart, street-smart, sport-smart, talk-smart, work smart etc (if you can only choose one)?

3 comments:

jÖu ~ said...

i personally prefer someone who's "equally" as smart (or as dumb) as i am... but in different things. so if i'm good at A and B, i expect him to the C and D and vice versa. that way, you complement each other, yet find the other interesting :-)

Nomad said...

Well depending on whether it is behavourial or inherited smartness.

I like someone who is geuninely intelligent - inherited. Meaning they learn everything quickly, perceive things quickly, comprehend quickly and able to judge wisely. They do not have to be smarter or less smart, just be smart in their own rights.

Smartness should ideally be mutually exclusive to behavourial patterns such as arrogrance, selfishness, wayward thoughts etc as all these are subjected to environmental influencing factors from upbringing, nurturing, peers influence to society conditioning.
So liking a smart guy does not necessarily means all the above negative flaws will be incorporated. I have known and befriended several smart people and they have always come across without the negative characteristics.
:P

Anonymous said...

Interesting feedback. Wow, "me-no-mad", you seem to be surrounded by very perfect people who are smart yet have no behavourial flaws. Hmm... can you tell me which part of the world have more of these perfect beings?

I like what 'me' said about complementing each other by having smartness in different things. Yeap that should work well and make happy couples.

Anyway I find those articles interesting, at least they made me think and analyze my reaction towards certain people. I have dealt with some very smart Americans before, quite arrogant I must say. Germans are better. Not so many brilliantly smart yet admirable Asian guys among those that I have met though. Well, may be my ex-bf, he is the type that obviously has inherited smartness (the so call 'genuine intelligence'), yet keeping a low profile. Yeah, I guess that was exactly what attracted me at the first place... haha... hmm.