Saturday, October 17, 2009

Hazardous construction at Ban Hock Rock

Today I went to an Indonesian restaurant at Ban Hock Rock for lunch. While my friend and I were half way eating, we heard a very loud bang outside. Due to our kepo nature, we went out to check it out.

There we saw people staring at the roof of the building we were in. There was a car parking in front of the shop next to the Indonesion restaruant, the car roof was smashed by a huge piece of cement falling off from the building roof.

So the cement fell off, what's the big deal right?

Okay, let's take a closer look at what's inside those broken pieces of cement.

Guess what... it's polystyrene foam!!! Some creative developer has thought of new idea of mixing polystyrene foam with cement to make the skirts of the building roof. How did these people convince themselves of such kind of cost cutting idea could stand the heavy storm and windy condition in Kuching nowadays??

Well, I think this case will definitely become a big news tomorrow and the reputation of that 'smart' developer is gonna go down the drain.

Too bad I didn't carry my camera with me today. Otherwise you can take a look at the building roof as well as the car. The worse thing is that only part of the skirts have fallen down, there is still a long stretch surrounding the building which is about 10 shops wide, with visible cracks...

Friends, if you are thinking of going to the shops at Ban Hock Road, please don't park your car nor walking along that building. I guess soon most of those polystyrene-cement roof skirts will come off.

2 comments:

jÖu ~ said...

i only have one concern reading this entry....

YOU WERE LUNCHING @ BAN HOCK ROAD AND YOU DIDN'T EVEN GIMME A BUZZ????
hhhaaaaalllloooooo.....i work @ Ban Hock road missy!!!

*hiss hiss*

the cracks and "falling cement"?
haha. just had a signboard fall off one of the exterior of the walls last week and hit a car below.

yes, never a dull day where we work. and yes, property damage = liability = job for us! ^_^

Jo said...

What a lawyer, looking for cases to create job opportunity... sick people... haha.

Btw, I forgot u work at Ban Hock. Ai si, next time I must keep in low profile if I happen to have lunch downtown. Otherwise, Thea and you will surely make noise "$%^$#%^@%...".

So I will do this... drive downtown, sneak into one of the shops, have lunch, wait for something to fall from the sky again, then take pix, run away quietly, tell my friends but dun put on my blog... hehehe.