Saturday, May 03, 2008

Cambridge - Part I (美丽又难忘的康桥之旅)

11 April 08 - Cambridge

Cambridge has always been a place that I wanted to visit when I was a student. I have been to Oxford before (too bad I didn't have a digital camera at that time). Oxford is also an old town but personally I like Cambridge better, mainly because of the river view there. I will show you what I mean later in this blog...

I got up early and took a tube from Paddington Station to King's Cross Station as the trains from London to Cambridge only depart from King's Cross. I took a non-stop direct express which took only 1 hour to reach Cambridge.



Unfortunately the weather wasn't good by the time I reached Cambridge, it was raining heavily. I have no choice but to wait for the rain to stop. At the same time, I started to do some planning for my visit to Cambridge downtown.


First thing I normally do when I reached a new train station that I am going to depart again, is to pick up the train time table for my next stop, so that I could plan my time accordingly and not miss the right train when I am going to leave.

After collecting the time table, I bought a Cambridge city map & guide at the station. Next I walked into 'Marks & Spencer' supermarket to get myself some sandwich for lunch later. FYI, 'Marks & Spencer' in U.K. has supermarket chains and the price is relatively reasonable. A box of 2-piece sandwich costs about 1-3 pounds which is considered cheap for lunch in U.K..


Luckily the rain didn't last for long so I started my walking journey towards Cambridge downtown along St. Andrew's Street. It was actually very cold out there, <5 degree C.

Same as Oxford, Cambridge is an old town with a lot of youngsters everywhere.











Bicycles & Cambridge

There are many ways to see Cambridge but the best is on foot. Alternatively, you can hire a bicycle. It is very common to see bicycles everywhere at Cambridge.





Punt Station

Turning into Downing Street, I walked towards River Cam, where many famous colleges are situated. Here I reached the river side where the Punt Station is. Punting is a very popular activity at Cambridge. It is also another way to see Cambridge.






The University of Cambridge is not like typical universities which normally have their campus separated from the outside world. The university campus is as big as the town itself, all the colleges are part of it. There are total 31 colleges in Cambridge. A College is the place where students live, eat and socialise. It is also the place where they receive small group teaching sessions.




Queen's College

Next to the Punt Station is the famous Queen's College. The admission is chargeable at 2 pounds per entry but I can tell you, it's well worth it. Take a look at the following series of photos and you will know why...










































So what do you think? For 2 pounds it's well worth it right??
Coming out from the Queen's College, I walked towards King's Parade where another famous college is situated - the King's College...



To be continued...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi i looked through all these photos, yes i did. Very nice indeed, and wish i was there travelling with you!!
Rita

Anonymous said...

Cannot, we will argue over Uno scores and rules... remember?? Hahaha, 说真的, 你的牌品实在太差了!