Mum and Dad were in town these two days. I went happily to pick them up at the airport during lunch hour yesterday. The moment they stepped into my car, my dad started his first round of lecturing. He has got a new trick. Instead of advising me to 'find someone', this time he started the conversation with 'Mei mei, you should get yourself a driver...' Duh.
Then from dinner till 1 a.m. last night, the two of them continued to bombard me with lectures. My dad shared with me his latest 'analysis' about me, about marriage, about how miserable I will be when I am old if I stay single and some miserable stories he knows... blah blah blah. It ended when I got really sleepy so I promised them I will try to get 'the mission' done by next year.
By the way, that was around 1:20 a.m. in the morning.... zzzzz....
This morning, instead of hearing my alarm snoozing (I usually can't hear a thing no matter how loud it goes), I heard my mum laughing. She slept next to me last night and the moment I opened my eyes this morning, I saw her smiling staring at me.... hmm spooky. She said "Aiyo, mei mei, you can't hear your alarm at all izit??". My mind went "Die loh... the snoozings must have gone on quite a few rounds as usual so mum must have found out that I have never changed my 賴床 habit all these years..." Anyway, I just ignored her and turned away to continue sleeping. There she started the first lecture in a day again...
"You know your dad is very 'ko lien'. You are his only daughter and also his only worry now... he really loves you very much you know and he is so worry to see you always so 弔兒郎當..."
OMG.................. this is the n number of round since yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!! GOD, I GOT YOUR MESSAGE LIAO LAH!!!
Wednesday, August 01, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
i like your parents! ^_^
i support all the way!!! hehehehe
I know, you guys are the same gang... the source of my pressure.
i was talking about shopping in italy to my mum the other day. i told her that i must go to diesel and just cavalli. then she said, after I got my PR in NZ, found another new job in Asia, STILL NOT MARRIED, then we can go to Italy and shop. Hahahaha!! So basically she has given up on me.
I laughed so hard when i read this post. I used to face this problem from my mum, aunties and uncles. My gf told me that she told her mum "marrying is easy, marry those sweep the floor, beat the wife, gamble horse alot! can marry now. but u want me to marry a decent nice guy rite? so must take time to find! U push and push, so pressure how to find?!" That works for my fren. haa haa. As for me, i just show a super black face that can freeze the sky. :P
as for me, i just change topic. hahaha.. my family already sik kuan until the level of giving up already.
I used the same way as your fren last time, I asked my dad "What if I marry someone who will cheat on me, make me cry, 2 of us keep fighting everyday and I always have to run back to you in tears etc..." Guess what my dad said "That's ok, at least you get married once, you can always divorce if it doesn't work out."
One time, he talked to me about his new observation, i.e. nowadays a lot of china girls request to divorce as they are now more independent. He said he has changed his perception. This is actually ok to him, so he doesn't mind if I get divorce later, AS LONG AS I GET MARRIED!!! (Can tell he is really desparate lah)
I think for a chinese ah pek, it's quite embarrassing to have a unmarried daughter. So he would rather I just do it first and worry about it later... haha, that's my dad.
sigh.. gone are the days in marriage is for life concept..so much for 一生一世. Err..china women mainly divorced because MANY (not all), they want to marry to get out of the country (china) or for better life. I think that is kind of different from normal people isnt it. Tell your dad you believe in marriage for long term and that being divorce will be a very tramautic period for you as a person. marriage is not about face, its about finding a life partner that can be supportive and compliment you as a person to make you an even better person. What is the point of getting married for the sake of marrying just to satisfy other's views? Who care what other people think? If you are unhappy, they are not going to be the ones feeling it. I have divorced frens, or going thru one, its a very very painful process, unless of course you are a china woman who doesnt give a shit about "emotions" in the first place since they have different agenda.
haha!!!! aiya, just go for 'arranged' marriage lah!! :-)
or, err... if your parents can take the joke, try telling them you're les, see how's the reaction
or... like "know thyself" said, show a super long black face...
do you watch every thursday 11.30pm Starworld "How I met your mother"?? it's a very sweet film
what i'm trying to say is, you can think about "how i met your father" to your future kids :-)
No lah, can't simply make joke with my parents, my dad just had a heart operation last year. I do love them very much and I look up to my dad a lot, I won't just ignore their advice. What I told my dad was that I do plan to get married but I can't force myself to simply marry anyone. I told him I do know the consequence to be single but if I can't click with a guy, it will be very suffering to spend the rest of my life with him, it's unfair for both.
Haha, at least I let them know I wasn't avoiding it just unfortunately I haven't met someone that clicks well with me.
Jo, i think what your dad means is that at least you give it (love) a/another shot, rather than be pulled back by fear of the "what-ifs"... nothing in life is permanent or a guarantee. it's all a gamble, sometimes the stakes are high, sometimes low. but doesnt mean that just because there's a "risk" that things might go wrong again, that you don't give it a shot at all. i think that's all he means. just be open to possibilities.
after all- IT'S BETTER TO REGRET DOING SOMETHHING THAN NEVER TO HAVE DONE IT AT ALL.
that all said- i do believe you're open to love/rship. just havnt found the right one yet. but how do you it's the right one if you rule ppl out even before u actually give it a shot???? so don't prejudge anyone before u give them a chance, ok???
if you don't like ppl to have expectations of you... then DONT do the same towards them!
^_^
Ok lah jOu, I agree. Looking at you I know things will be fine. Just that there isn't any interesting one around currently. Too bad.
Post a Comment