In my previous blog 'To be or not to be', I wrote about my director offered me a manager post to a 'sai' job. At that time, I rejected.
I was actually being offered 3 options:
1) 'Sai' job manager post
2) Stay at my current job
3) Choose an area that I'm interested in
At that time, I chose option (2) as I planned to finish my projects in hand. Then today my director asked me if I'm interested in option (3). I said I will consider. So he arranged for me to talk to the manager of the area that I'm interested to move to. He thinks it's a good idea to groom some of 'his people' in that area too.
So before lunch, that manager, a chubby korean guy who I gave a nickname 'teletubby', asked to see me in his office. So I went. Following is the conversation between us:
Teletubby: I heard you are interested to join my group.
Jo: Yes.
Teletubby: Do you know the details of what my group is doing?
Jo: Roughly but not in details.
Teletubby: We are doing ....... (he explained the job scope). Now I have 2 vacancies.
Jo: Ok, so am I qualified to take the vacancy?
Teletubby: Yes, you fulfill the requirement... but I have one concern.
Jo: ??
Teletubby: Your character is too strong. You need to change to become more obeying and conservative.
Jo: Duh?!!... This is the first time I heard this comment.
Teletubby: I expect people under me to listen to me and you have your own opinion so you need to change.
Jo: Huh... I think this is just your impression as we have never worked together before.
Teletubby: I mean I would like you to join my group, but you need to prove that my impression is wrong by showing that you are obeying.
Jo: ...... I think this is a bit like christianity mindset, i.e. a baby is borned with sin and she needs to pray to God for savior to wash away her sin. So I'm given this big impression to start with, which means I have to work twice as hard just to prove that I'm not someone you think I am. It's a bit unfair.
Teletubby: (continue to insist that he wants to 'accept' me, but I need to improve to become more obeying)
Jo: ..... Thanks for your comment and time. I will think about it.
Then I ran away from that 'Mighty God's' office. At that time, I felt like I was carrying a big cross on my back.... 'Yes, I am a sinner, I am a bad person, I have to work hard to clear my sin....' OMG!!!
So I went back to talk to my director about the conversation between teletub and me. My director couldn't help laughing. His comment is "Do you know that he (teletub) is actually on the blacklist to take VSS? If he came to work at my area, I will ask him to change his character first!!!"
So after giving some thoughts, I told my director (who has just been promoted to become the COO) that I will take the manager post he offered me initially.
Yeap, sometimes life is really quite unpredictable. Thanks Teletub, for making me appreciating what my director offered me.
Thursday, March 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Congratulation and wish you all the best in ur career. I think no matter what we choose, as long as we have a strong determination, then we can definitely do it well.
hi well done and congratulations on your promotion (if you call it?). Hope you'll enjoy it. And hahaha, i think that teletubby's request to ask you to change to be more obedient..it can only happen in Asia..goodness me!!
Yeap, only korean will do such thing... i can't stand them really. My previous boss was also a terrible mcp, likes to act like an emperor, everyone needs to bow to him even though his technical skill is really lousy... goodness, no wonder our new management wants to sweep them out.
bloody korean guy, bloody MCP!!!
ya, congratulation, ie. you'll be there forever ^_^
Post a Comment