This morning while I was driving to work, Mix FM announced that there was a massive 8.7 magnitude earthquake hitting a small island off Indonesia's Sumatra, killing dozens of people last night. Another disaster after the Boxing Day Tsunami.
There were many disasters happened in these recent few years, both man-made and natural. It's getting more and more frequent, just one after another. I think most people are kinda used to it. On the other hand, the weather seems to be going a bit crazy too, many places in the northern hemisphere were colder than before in the beginning of the year. Even Taiwan snowed in Mar which has become an interesting news.
But I think, the huge advancement in Technology these 10-20 years is the major factor that has caused huge damage to the environment. It's not that noticeable kos we are seeing the changes gradually done everyday. However if we compare the amount of construction now to 10-20 years ago, it's no doubt increasing exponentially, meaning trees are trimmed in the same rate. The amount of chemical waste released to the sea is increasing exponentially too. More and more highly hazardous tools and weapons were invented and tested somewhere out at the ocean. The consumption of the natural resources are far more than before too.
We are basically squeezing every inch out from the planet we are living. In engineering terms, when there is constant production without preventive maintenance, the tools and equipments will eventually wear out and fail. Basically we are doing just that to our planet.
Today when I was walking along the pavement towards the office, I thought to myself what if the end of the world is just around the corner, what would I have missed?? Hmm... points to ponder... Well, I guess not much really, probably just haven't spent off all my $ to go see the world, wasted too much time working for others, what else??...
On the other hand, what have I done so far??.... well I have loved someone before with a lot of courage though it didn't work out in the end, have used my spare time to help others and to have fun with my frens, visited and called my family quite often too, am buying things that I like from time to time, have most of the things I need for surviving, have frens who love me, family who cares, a job that can earn just enough to survive, have quite a good stress-free life. Wow, I think everyone should just count their blessings more often. That makes one a happy person.
Well, just one thing I should have done but haven't done... I haven't registered myself with GOD. Oops... Probably should do that soon :p
Tuesday, March 29, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Though, you registered with God, I still believe how you performance on earth is more important.
Post a Comment