Today I shouted at someone in the office.
The story goes like this. 1-2 months ago, I found some issues with one of my devices. So I form a team involving engineers from another 3 departments to solve the issue. 2 of the engineers from Operation are very cooperative and have contributed a lot to finding the root cause but the remaining 1 person from OPI (a china engineer) is very snobbish, lazy, reluctant to involve and didn't contribute much at all. Anyway we let him be.
After running some experiments, we managed to narrow down to one specific process and we found something technically new and interesting. Suddenly that china engineer started to involve another girl from his group, 2 of them are 1 of the kind. When we requested data from them, they will play hide and seek and we never get anything. However they sat in to get spoon fed with all our findings and ideas.
Last week, I setup a brainstorming session to study the interesting root cause and we came out with a very interesting hypothesis which we found some articles that support the hypothesis. So we decided to plan for another experiment to further zoom in to the root cause. In the end of the session, that china engineer and the lady who have been sitting there not contributing anything stood up and denied our proposal for the experiment and asked us to send all the materials to them for them to 'decide' on the experiment direction.
Yesterday, that lady sent out an email and cc to many people on her 'decision' to do the experiment. She further denied all our previous findings, said it's all wrong. Then she attached her 'finding' which basically copied our idea. Moreover she 'decided' their group will do this on their own.
Come on, who do they think they are!
So I called the lady up this morning reminding her that this project is a team work and I'm the project leader, not her, she must get this right. Then she said she knew the root cause at the beginning, our previous experiment is redundant etc. OMG, she wasn't even involved when we first designed the first experiment. That china guy also didn't contribute anything to find the root cause. Now when they see this could be a huge performance, they decided to take over the project.
The lady actually asked me to let her take over the project from now on. Furthermore she said she will decide who to involve in the project and she wanted to get rid of the 2 operation engineers. She thinks her group is the one with process experience. I challenged her on how many years she has worked in process and how many DOE has she done before that makes her said such thing. What a fxck does she know! So I scolded her for having no team spirit, not professional, no respect and shame on her and her china colleague for stealing other's work!
(Later I found out she is just a junior engineer with 2 years working experience. The other engineers and I have 10 years working experience!!)
When she didn't know what to say, she passed her phone to her china colleague. He said they have different working style, all the while they just do whatever they feel like. If I'm not happy, he asked me to talk to their boss. I told him that if this whole plot is from the 2 of them, then they need to answer me and not asking me to talk to their boss as I don't know what they have told their boss! (By the way, their boss is that famous big korean gangster who used to be my boss.)
After hanging up, I went to talk to my boss. My boss went straight to talk to their boss.
Anyway, it's a very bad day to start with. I raised my voice so loud that the whole floor can hear me... Then people started to come around to ask me. After they heard the story, everyone just shaked their head. Shame on this lady and the china guy!!!
Actually I've made it a point to not showing my temper in the office. I wanted to practise high EQ but I found that when I'm dealing with such idiots/gangsters, I just couldn't help but shout my lung out.
Till now, I still can't believe what kind of thick skin animals I have just encountered in this strange company. What a shame!
Tuesday, April 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
it's difficult not to lose your temper and raise your voice under these circumstances. Really ah..especially with people from 'different' culture, not yet conditioned by a more western working style. But glad that everything got sorted out at the end.
wow..i have yet to c u lose ur temper.....
Don't even try that, I can bite a tiger when I lose my temper.
by all mean, you did the right thing, shout shout shout at them!!! i'm not suggesting that you should do it all the time, but to certain people, they only take it that way!!!!!
ya, their boss, if being responsible, should instead come and talk to you and find out!!! but i guess, it's just another additional hopeless guy on the list, who should be chucked to the drain!!
Exactly most of the people in that group were the unwanted people got dumped there during the reorganization.
Post a Comment