Monday I went out for lunch with Pig Pig and a colleague Mr. P. It’s a funny combination, both Pig Pig and Mr. P have kind of ‘geek’ look, so I joked to Pig Pig before that I don’t like to go out with the two of them as others will think I’m as geek as them….hahaha… anyway this has nothing to do with what I’m going to write about.
Well Monday as usual, Mr. P called to have lunch with me and Pig Pig which I usually don’t know how to turn him down. So we went out in Mr. P’s car. By the time we reached a big roundabout near the place for lunch, this Mr. P just turned his head to the right and looked for the incoming traffic from the roundabout. At the same moment, there was this little ‘kancil’ stopped in front of us waiting to enter the roundabout which apparently Mr. P didn’t notice at all (may be his eyes are too big to capture small car).
I was sitting at the front passenger seat and when I felt that his car was not slowing down but accelerating towards the little ‘kancil’ in front, I shouted ‘watch out!!!’ and in split second, a big ‘bang’ occurred.
Next, I found myself standing at the road side, putting on a ‘teh koh’ (teapot) posture, playing a part in the ‘negotiation’ between the kancil driver and Mr. P. The kancil driver was a young Malay lady who can’t speak English and both Mr. P and Pig Pig can’t speak Malay. So apparently a translator was needed in that context, which makes me the ‘inevitable’ busy body. Not only I played the role as a translator, I also involved in proposing solutions to both party.
Anyway we came out with two options for the young Malay lady to pick from:
1) Mr. P paid RM100 to the lady for the car repair.
2) Mr. P will claim insurance to cover the damage on both party.
The lady proposed and insisted on the 3rd option which she asked for RM200 instead. Actually her car was just slightly damaged but Mr. P’s car suffers from broken lamp and more severe front damage which estimates to be >RM1000. So Mr. P came to a conclusion that he won’t pay her RM200, he will go for insurance claim to cover both.
So they exchanged handphone number and said bye bye. Then Pig Pig, Mr. P and I went for lunch together. During lunch, Mr. P kept insisting that he has been driving for 20 years+ and accident like this has never happened to him before and he insisted that it’s the kancil’s fault etc. I told him ‘Come on, that car won’t just pop out from no where. I saw it, the fact is that you didn’t notice the car and just ran into it.’, full stop. He went on and on to defend himself which I saw no point to continue arguing, so I just went ahead to finish my lunch in peace. By the time I went back to his car, I noticed that there were in fact many other ‘wounds’ on both front and back of his car. Obviously he wasn’t that good a driver… which he claimed those were all other’s fault blah blah blah… Sometime I just don’t understand guys, why do they have to be so defensive about their driving skill???...
Anyway after lunch on the way back to the office, that little kancil suddenly appeared from behind and chased after us. So we stopped at the roundabout and rolled down the window. Basically she told us that she called Mr. P’s handphone and nobody answered the phone, so she suspected Mr. P gave her a fake number. I told her Mr. P didn’t bring his handphone but don’t worry he will arrange everything and call her up. She didn’t want to let go but the traffic from behind started to horn at us so no choice we have to go. So that ended my busy body story and I went back to live my peaceful life…
Hold on, not so simple… The second day, more juicy stories came out. Mr. P called me up right after I reached the office. He told me in order to claim for insurance, he was told to make a police report on the accident. So he did and he called to inform that Malay lady. Afterwards he received an sms from her which… she asked him not to report to the police about her… why why why??? Well, the secret was out… she does not have a driving license!!!
So Mr. P called to ask my opinion on what to do next. I told him to just report on his side and let the police obtains the info from the lady if it is needed. The main point was to get the insurance to cover for his car damage, don’t mention about the lady has no driving license as it will only make the case more complicated and it might put her in jail, and it might become a court case etc. Mr. P was happy with the suggestion so he hung up.
There I sat back and thought to myself… what a hell was this Malay lady thinking?? She does not have a driving license, which means she was not driving her own car, and dare she insisted to bargain for more $$ and chased after our car to make a big fuss!! If I were her, I would quickly take option (1) i.e. RM100 and flee for life!!!~~~
So in conclusion, I consider her case as ‘nou jip jiu’ (Hokkien meaning ‘brain enters water’ -> short circuit).
End of story.
Sunday, December 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Actually this accident case is very similar to my brother's. The boy also did not posses a valid drivers license. At the end instead of him driving, it became his father who is driving. So, if the malay and Mr. P agree, they can actually report it such way. If not the girl may not be able to drive anymore.
I think he just want to show his machoism. If not, girl might look down on him. Haha!!
That girl really 'nou jip jiu', when didn't she just take the $ and run?? If I were her I'd be more worry about my illegal driving than the car damage which in her case it's quite minor really. I found Malay people are sometimes quite hard to understand. I think quite a lot of them drive on the road without license and yet so 'nou jip jiu'.
Post a Comment